Isotope Gas Mixtures for CO2/CO Lasers
Carbon dioxide (CO2) emission lines suitable for laser operation span the 9.2 to 10.8 µm wavelength range. Combinations of carbon and oxygen isotopes yield another 17 molecular species – including the popular 12C18O2 and 13C16O2 configurations. With up to 80 lines for each species, these isotopic molecules fill the spectral gaps of the others and extend the spectral range down to 8.9 µm and up to 11.8 µm.
The standard CO2 laser provides spectral output between 9.2 and 10.8 µm. However, for certain applications other wavelengths may be necessary. Access Laser can extend the spectral reach and power of our lasers by leveraging the following different isotope gas mixtures:
- 13C16O2 – This carbon isotope mixture will extend the accessible range to 11.3 µm. Depending on the power of the laser, the 9P & 9R bands may not be accessible.
- 12C18O2 – This oxygen isotope will provide extended range towards 8.9–9.3 µm. Depending on the power of the laser, the 10P & 10R bands may not be accessible.
- 12C16O – A carbon monoxide mixture will produce light in the 5.2–5.8 µm band. This gas is highly sensitive to temperature and has a unique cascading effect, which naturally produces many different wavelengths in succession.
Access Laser CO2 Lasers
For more than twenty years, Access Laser has provided research and industry with application-specific CO2 laser solutions for cutting-edge experiments and products.
Each Access Laser series offers different models with various options for power, stability, wavelength and more. Features of Access Lasers products include:
- Frequency-stabilized interferometric light sources
- High signal-to-noise ratio sources for spectroscopy
- Beams with long coherence-length and high spectral purity for plasma diagnostics
- Discrete wavelength selection for scanning near-field optical microscopy
- High-pulse modulation rates for free-space optical communications
- Industry-leading power stability for high performance optical fiber fabrication
- Single-line emission sources for optically pumping far infrared terahertz gas cells
- Ideal seed lasers for enabling master oscillator power amplifiers
- Superior mode quality for post-laser optical processing
To request more information or a quotation for Access Laser products, contact IL Photonics.